Visa and work permit

Depending on which country your new employee comes from, there may be different legal regulations for a residence permit in Germany. Citizens of the European Union (EU) as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland enjoy complete freedom of movement for workers.

Non EU- citizens

Members from states that are not EU and not European Economic Area and Switzerland, require a residence permit before their entry, which also explicitly allows employment. Exceptions apply to nationals from Andorra, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, Monaco, New Zealand and the United States. You can also apply for a residence permit after entry. For academics from third countries, for example, there is the residence permit “Blaue Karte EU”. The award of this residence permit is tied to earnings limits (see Professionally qualified third-country workers without a university degree also have the option of obtaining a residence permit.

The prerequisite is a training certificate that corresponds to a domestic qualification. In addition, most of the time it has to be a professional group with skilled labor shortages ask.

You at the Federal Employment Agency according to the current “positive list”, in which the corresponding professions are listed. For occupations outside the “positive list”, a priority check is usually carried out.


For any inquiries please email